We spent many hours determining our requirements and critically reviewing each potential site.
Site & Ecology
We knew that the site we selected would have a huge impact on the house design and the ability to reach our net-zero energy target.
A site will often impact on:
- Construction costs and in some cases the construction materials
- The layout of the house
- Solar passive design features that could be included in the design
- The ability to utilise natural ventilation
- Permeability between internal and external spaces
- The character of the house
- The general ambience of the house and the occupants well-being and happiness
...its north facing aspect has allowed us to design-in passive solar features.
We spent many hours determining our requirements and critically reviewing each potential site. We selected the site because it is conveniently located for access to amenities, work, the city, friends and local cycle and public transport networks. It is easy to build on because it is flat and its north facing aspect has allowed us to design-in passive solar features. Whilst the location of the house on the site has mainly been determined by the Auckland City Councils (ACC) District Plan requirements we have tried to maximise the garden size to the North and East. This will provide us with a reasonable sized sunny garden that will be good for growing fruit and vegetables and has facilitated indoor spaces that link to outside, allowing interaction with the street as well as providing the desired level of privacy. From the first storey there will be pleasant views over Western Springs park and even a glimpse of the water from north facing windows.
Design Opportunities Matrix
The matrix below shows the key design features related to the site and ecology in the left column and the project goals listed along the top. The coloured boxes indicate the goals that the design considerations contribute towards. The matrix is colour coded as follows:
- Indicates that the design feature has a positive effect on the goal
- Indicates that the design feature has a negative effect on the goal
- Indicates that the design feature can have a negative or positive effect on the goal
The sections of the website listed in the top menu bar are evolving and details on the design initiatives will be added to these sections as we develop the design and build the house.
|Design Feature||Energy Efficiency & GHG||Low Embodied Energy||Water Conservation||Health & Comfort||Waste Minimisation||Low Pollutant Emissions||Durability|
Topsoil retained onsite [more]
Onsite produce [more]